Monday, December 19, 2016

The 12 Cultures of Christmas // UKRAINE

Shchaslyvoho Rizdva!
Merry Christmas!

Ah! I have looked at some pictures on Pinterest of Ukraine, and wow! It looks like it is a pretty country! Today, in this 12 Days of Christmas blog series, started by Faith @ Stories by Firefly, we will learn a little about a Ukrainian Christmas.

First thing to know! Christmas will NOT be celebrated on December 25th, but instead from January 7th-14th!
Christmastime in the Ukraine is often celebrated with people in costume caroling and greeting one another, along with other festivities during the week like concerts and fairs.*
So instead of Christmas being one day, you get a whole week!
However, when the Ukraine was part of the Soviet Union, before Ukraine's independence in 1991, Christmas was not a holiday in the Ukraine.*

Common foods...
KOLACH
 Not my picture, click for source.




Christmas Eve, as Wikipedia puts it, is "filled with numerous customs and rituals"* including Christmas Eve dinner called Svyatu Vecheryu, The Holy Supper, which (please correct me if I'm wrong) I understand to be 12 courses long. Kolach, a tiered bread that represents the trinity, is also eaten at the supper. Want the recipe? If you follow the link captioned under the picture of Kolach, you can find the pinned recipe. I personally think it looks good....

Ukrainian Dumplings.Not my picture, click for source.
Not my picture, click for source.

Not my picture, click for source.
And if you want something to do, you can make a Ukrainian Christmas Star!
NOT MY PICTURE! CLICK HERE FOR SOURCE.
Visit my Pinterest board: Ukraine.

Thanks for tuning into another post in this blog series! To Faith's blog, the host of this series, click the 12 Days of Christmas picture. And find out what other blogs are hosting this series (other posts are different than mine).
*Ukrainian Christmas: Time and Date.
*Wikipedia.
Ukrainian Christmas star: Levko.info.
And Pinterest(all those used pics are indicated along with the link in the captions).

6 comments:

Thank you for commenting! I always want to know what you think, and I will do my best to answer your questions accordingly. Please keep all comments appropriate and nice. Thank you!
Some comments may not be published.

IF YOU CHECK BACK ON YOUR COMMENTS, YOU MIGHT SEE A REPLY FROM ME (Amy)!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...