Thursday, December 15, 2016

The 12 Cultures of Christmas // SWEDEN

Not my picture, click here for source.
Merry Christmas all // God jul alla!
*Deep breath* A Swedish Christmas....
Someday, I would like to spend Christmas in Sweden. Ever since I read the Kirsten Larson—American Girl—books, I have been fascinated with this country, and I dream of someday going!
Today we will be learning about Christmas in Sweden, are you ready?
First lesson! ~smile~ Merry Christmas in the Swedish language is: god jul.







A Common Christmas Tradition...
Santa Lucia Day // Santa Lucia Dag.
Not my picture, click here for source.

The tradition is that the oldest girl in the household gets up early and makes coffee (kaffe) and Swedish Saffron Buns (svenska lussebullar), which are the traditional baked good for this yearly ritual.
Click for pinned recipe.Not my picture, click for source.
Then, dressed in a white dress and a red sash—crown of greenery and candles on her head—the girl brings the food and drink to her family members who have been in bed.
I personally think this tradition is sweet, and it would be cool to watch/experience someday.
Not my picture, click for source.
A second part to this tradition is that in Sweden, they pick a girl from the town and/or school to carry out this tradition in a parade/procession of sorts, and represent St. Lucia (Lucy).
Not my picture, click for source.
Then, there are star boys (stjärngossar)...
Not my picture, click for source.
Star boys also follow with the girls in the procession. Star boys are boys dressed up in white gowns wearing pointy hats decorated with stars.They originate from the legend of Saint Stefanos, who is said to have been a stable worker in the stables of King Herod at the time of Jesus' birth. It's said that he saw the star that shone over Bethlehem and told Herod about the King of the Jews' birth. Herod didn't believe him, and said, "That is as likely as if this fried rooster would come alive and call."* And in this legend, the fried chicken came alive and said that Christ was born.. Stefanos was killed, and so became a saint celebrated on this Santa Lucia holiday.

Please note that my faith is not with these traditions, and I do not necessarily believe in them. I also do not celebrate this holiday personally.



Jansson's Temptation (Janssons frestelse)...
click for pinned recipe.
Not my picture, click for source.
Common Christmas Foods in Sweden....
Swedish Meatballs...click for pinned recipe.
Not my picture, click for source.











Boiled Rice Pudding (julgrot)...
click for pinned recipe.
Not my picture, click for source.


Gingerbread Cookies (pepparkakor)...
click for pinned recipe.
Not my picture, click for source.













Other stuff I like...
Not my picture, click for source.

I made these, and they are good!
Click for pinned recipe.
Not my picture, click for source.


















Not my picture, click for source.

Isn't she so cute!Not my picture, click for source.



















Extra...

Dala Horses (dalahästar), are a big thing, too. They are painted, wooden horses. Actually, in Avesta Municipality, Sweden, they have the World's largest Dala Horse, which is made out of concrete.
World's largest Dala Horse.
Not my picture, click for source.
Wooden Dala Horse toys.
Not my picture, click for source.

And last but not least...
Not my picture, click for source. Click also, to buy on Amazon.
Annika's Secret Wish.
This is a book that we have read for years within my family. I love this book, and I rate it a 5 star book, with wonderful illustrations, and an extraordinary story. It, too, has guided my interest in the country of Sweden. It also teaches you a loved tradition that Sweden has...the Almond pudding! In the book it tells you about how one almond is mixed in the pudding, and whoever gets it can have one wish, and it is said to come true. But that's all I am saying! You'll just have to read it if you want.

Thanks for tuning in, everyone! And please do not forget to come back! The series will be running for twelve blog posts. This is number one!
God Jul!
Merry Christmas!
-Amy
This post is a part of the 12 Days of Christmas blog series that I am participating in this year.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Resources:
I got pictures off of Pinterest(links underneath each used picture), and free picture websites.
St. Lucia Day resources: Celebrating St. Lucia Day(More Than Mundane), and *About Sweden: Lucia(Graphic Garden).
Food resource: Wikipedia, and Pinterest(links below each used picture).
Annika's Secret Wish book: Amazon.


Art of Homemaking

14 comments:

  1. I've always loved St. Lucia day. Probably because we studied it in school and actually "did" the celebration and made the foods. :) And also Kirsten was my doll and I had read the American Girl books. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome, Rebekah! We'll have to talk about it some time!

      Delete
  2. Thank you for posting this series. Five years ago we moved from Texas' Gulf Coast to the eastern prairie of Montana - it seems the majority of folks in this region are of Scandinavian heritage and many of their holiday traditions (especially Christmas) are Scandinavian. I am looking forward to learning more as this series continues.

    Thanks and Merry Christmas,
    Mrs.B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure! That is cool that the people have Scandinavian heritage! I hope this has helped give some insight! Blessings to you, Mrs. B.!
      Thanks, and Merry Christmas to you, too!
      -Amy

      Delete
  3. This was a great post, Amy! I really enjoyed learning about St. Lucia Day since I have read some of the Kirsten books as well. :) I can tell you really did the research! Great pictures!

    I linked to your post with my 12DoC post this morning. Thanks for participating! :D I'm going to go look up that book now...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Faith. Merry Christmas! You'll like the book!

      Delete
  4. Wow cool post! it's fun to see how other cultures celebrate Christmas. Again cool post and thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marrok! You're welcome. And thanks for posting about Christmas movies with this linkup!

      Delete
  5. This was really interesting, Amy! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey! I'm doing my linkup on St. Lucia's day!!! XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I saw that! I'll have to read it!

      Delete
  7. Oh, absolutely LOVE this post! (I love pretty much anything Swedish ;)) And yes…spending a Christmas in Sweden would be SO much fun!

    Hmm…how on earth do those girls balance the candles on their head? It all looks so pretty though! :)

    Oh goodness…all that food. Soooooo good……

    AND THAT BABY ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome! Another Sweden lover! :)
      Well, I believe they use fake candles, nowadays, from pictures I have seen. But some might still used traditional stuff, who knows. I guess as the movie Fiddler on the Roof states, "I can tell you in one word...tradition!"
      Thanks for visiting, Blessing Counter.
      God bless and heal, Merry Christmas!
      -Amy

      Delete

Thank you for commenting! I always want to know what you think, and I will do my best to answer your questions accordingly. Please keep all comments appropriate and nice. Thank you!
Some comments may not be published.

IF YOU CHECK BACK ON YOUR COMMENTS, YOU MIGHT SEE A REPLY FROM ME (Amy)!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...