Tuesday, October 4, 2016

'40's on Tuesday // #6 // Short Story-"If Anybody"


Hello wonderful readers! How are you? Well, I am back with another '40's on Tuesday post, and this time you are in for a treat. Recently I participated in Faith's Imagine This challenge at her blog, and this is the story I came up with. Now, I am not used to writing in 1st person, but I wrote what I wrote, and I hope you enjoy it. Here is the first part, and the picture that was my inspiration.

Wife of a departing soldier lifts her son for farewell embrace. Oklahoma, 1945:
Not my picture. Source was Pinterest. Click here for source.

If Anybody

December 25, 1944.


I remember that day when he left.
It was the spring of 1942, and the sun was rebelliously shining in the bright morning sky like nothing was being torn apart— like a war wasn't raging. I wonder how many times the sun has shone over a scene like that one—a scene of longing and fear, of love and selfish wishes.

As my husband, Jackson, my son, Lawrence, and I drove to the train station, Lawrence wouldn't stop asking why Daddy had to leave. He had been told many times before that Daddy had to go defend America, but he didn't understand. When we arrived, Jackson parked the car and grabbed his things, "Well, Martha, this is it."

I just looked at him, with tears of sadness forming in my eyes, "I wish...Oh, Jackson, I wish..." My tears sufficed for words as I rushed into his arms, and cried. He gently held me, stroking my brown hair in love.
"Okay, I'll be late." I pulled away, composing myself and wiping my tear stained face, "Right, I'm sorry. I know you can't stay, but I am going to miss you."

"I'll miss you too," Jackson said, his blue eyes shining.

As he boarded the train, I gave him one last kiss and hug, and Lawrence did also. I watched as Jackson disappeared into the train and then through the window as he found his seat on the passenger car. Jackson, smiling face, put half his body out the window, and said, "I love you, and I always will...no matter what happens, Martha Wright, remember that."

"I will," I said, trying not to choke up, for his sake.

"And I love you, too, buddy," He said to Lawrence.

"Momma, can I hug daddy again?"

"He's already on the train, Lawrence," I told him, then, looking at my husband, said, "Alright, I'll lift you up." I picked up Lawrence, and lifted him as high as my arms would carry him, halfway up to the train window. Jackson took over, and grabbed his son up till all I had was Lawrence's legs, and hugged him, saying something in his ear that I couldn't understand except for parts like "I love you", "Daddy has to", and "I'll come back".

But just as I...

Now you can go read the rest of the story on my writing blog: CLICK ON THIS SENTENCE. Thank you, and please tell me what you think in the comments, if you want.
Have a wonderful day, and thanks for tuning in!

THE SHORT STORY IS COPYRIGHTED ©2016. DO NOT COPY or use at all except by permission from the author. If you would like to use or share this story on your blog or something, please contact me via the contact form on the side of this blog.

4 comments:

  1. I love the way you are developing in your writing!

    I just made a blog friend list on my sidebar, and you are on it!
    Hugs,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this is so beautiful, Amy! Amazing job! I'm looking forward to reading more of your writing! Do you write mainly in the WWII era?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Jesseca!
      Well, this is the first short story I have written in WWII, but the book I am working on is in WWII, and I am planning on it being a trilogy, all in the '40's.
      My favorite era is the WWII era.

      Delete

Thank you for commenting! I always want to know what you think, and I will do my best to answer your questions accordingly. Please keep all comments appropriate and nice. Thank you!
Some comments may not be published.

IF YOU CHECK BACK ON YOUR COMMENTS, YOU MIGHT SEE A REPLY FROM ME (Amy)!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...