Tuesday, August 30, 2016

The '40's on Tuesday // # // Martial Law and the 1946 Aleutian Tsunami

I just learned all this really recently so I could share some interesting things with you, so I if you are interested in either Hawaii's martial law, the fact that Hawaii was an American territory, or the Aleutian tsunami that affected Hawaii, I encourage you to look up these events in your own research, also. But enough said, let's begin.

World War II officially began in the year 1939 and officially ended in 1945, though America did not fight until 1941, when our soil was invaded by the Japanese at Pearl Harbor, Hawaii.
Now, in 1941, and all through WWII, Hawaii was an American territory--not a state.
It was not established as a state until the year 1959.
Pearl Harbor

After the attack on Pearl Harbor, the Governor of the territory (Hawaii), Joseph Poindexter, contacted Franklin D. Roosevelt (the U.S. president at the time) about instituting martial law in Hawaii. The president agreed to this proposition, and Joseph Poindexter remained the governor until 1942, while martial law had been instituted in Hawaii.
Ingram Stainback succeeded Poindexter and became the next governor of Hawaii, in 1942.
Hawaii stayed under martial law until 1944.



On April 1, 1946,  the Aleutian Tsunami hit Scotch Cap and Hawaii (as well as being felt other pacific regions), by what is said to be the cause of an earthquake off the coast of Alaska. Around 165 people were killed in total--159 in Hawaii, 5 at Scotch Cap, and 1 in Santa Cruz, California(those may not be the exact numbers, but those were the noted casualties on one of the websites-click here).


If you would like to know more about this tsunami--because I only touched on it--please visit these posts, giving more information on them.
The University of Southern California,Tsunami Research Center:
http://www.usc.edu/dept/tsunamis/alaska/1946/webpages/
And History (the same people who do the History Channel):
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/alaskan-earthquake-triggers-massive-tsunami.

And even though I could touch on the attack at Pearl Harbor, I am going to save that for another day where I can do more for it.

If you have any suggestions for posts to write please leave a comment about it (I would love to incorporate some of them).


Trip to the Past Tuesday
Wednesday
Homestead Blog Hop Christian Blogger Link Up Raising Homemakers - A Wise Woman Builds Her Home

4 comments:

  1. What did Marshall law look like in practice?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! This is Amy from Living in Faith and Fun with The '40's on Tuesday posts. I am sorry for not getting back to you sooner. You asked what martial law looked like when I posted about Hawaii's martial law. Well, here is a link to a post that has more detail on the subject. I was going to finish reading it before I shared it, but I haven't, so I will just give the link to you. I have only read part of it, but it is interesting.
      Here you go: http://www.policestateusa.com/2014/ww2-hawaii-martial-law/

      Delete
  2. Wow, I didn't know about either of those happenings! Thanks, Amy. :)

    Posts I would like to see... 1940s fashions (men & women), Pearl Harbor details, war bonds, and scrap drives. :) Just some suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the suggestions, Faith. I am open to more, if you have more to share!

      Delete

Thank you for commenting! I always want to know what you think, and I will do my best to answer your questions accordingly. Please keep all comments appropriate and nice. Thank you!
Some comments may not be published.

IF YOU CHECK BACK ON YOUR COMMENTS, YOU MIGHT SEE A REPLY FROM ME (Amy)!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...