Tuesday, July 26, 2016

The '40's on Tuesday (#1) Since You Went Away (Movie Review)

Today we will be covering a movie called Since You Went Away, that came out in 1944.

Click HERE to find this movie on Amazon. The movie picture is from Amazon.
I just recently watched this movie, and this is how I rate it: 5 stars.


I find it interesting how they produced a movie about everyday life during the war, while the war was still raging. Yes, movie theaters would show things on the war, and I am sure there are more movies about the war, probably. But still, as they lived everyday life, they went to a theater to watch everyday life during a hard time. But I guess there are a lot of other movies about everyday life, too. Anyway, there are probably reasons behind it, but that's not what we are covering today.
In 1944, this movie was produced, and now, 72 years later, I watched it, enjoyed it, and learned from it.
I recommend this movie, especially if you are into WWII, or just like watching old movies. I have watched many old movies, but this is definitely one of my favorites. Plus, the other movies I have watched were more into the '50's than the '40's...I think. :)

Official rating: Not Rated
My rating: Um...PG? Probably.
Running time: 2 Hours 57 Minutes
Produced in: B&W
Year: 1944
Starring (The main characters): Claudette Colbert, Jennifer Jones, Joseph Cotton, Shirley Temple, Monty Woolley, Robert Walker, and Hattie McDaniel.

Cinematography: Average for that time period. Pretty good.
Actors for the parts: Almost 5 stars. Very good casting. The actors were all great, that I can remember right now. The main characters fitted their characters.
Would I watch it again? Definitely!
More than once? Yes!
Story plot: Pretty good. Very historical, and enjoyable. It is a sad movie, but that is just the way real life was back then; but I'm not saying it was all sad. Though it was a fictional storyline, it probably could've been real. Very touching, and it started to bring a little tears to my eyes.
Story speed: Realistic. Well paced, though some parts or times were rushed a little too much. But I guess it is okay for a movie, though I would want to see it have more in those parts or aspects.
Sorry, I would tell you what I mean, but if you have not watched it, or are thinking about watching it, I don't want to spoil anything.

Over all thoughts: It was a good movie that I would want to watch again, especially with my sister, who I don't think has seen it before (She likes old movies).
This movie was a good, unique movie, about real life (though fictional) during the second world war. It don't remember it having anything actually inappropriate or anything in it...except for maybe a painted W.A.V.E. poster a guy made, showing the leg of a lady, up to the hip. And though it is not actually inappropriate, the same guy (his name is Tony, by the way) likes one of the main characters, though she is married. He used to be one of her boyfriends, and so he still is close to her. But I liked how they made him a family friend, too.
But over all, it was a good show, and a movie you could watch with your family, ages 11 or 12 and up.

This movie was very touching, and I think most old movie lovers would like it.
It had a sweet romance, the struggle of a mother, portrayal of helping with the war effort, and also the harsh reality of living in a time of war.
5 STARS for me.


Please remember to join me next time, for The '40's on Tuesday!

3 comments:

  1. This looks good! I'll have to watch it sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this sounds like an amazing WWII movie! :D I'll have to find it so I can watch it soon. Great review, Amy, and I'm already enjoying this series! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've watched this movie many times. It's one of those movies that is that good. A classic.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I always want to know what you think, and I will do my best to answer your questions accordingly. Please keep all comments appropriate and nice. Thank you!
Some comments may not be published.

IF YOU CHECK BACK ON YOUR COMMENTS, YOU MIGHT SEE A REPLY FROM ME (Amy)!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...