Saturday, December 26, 2015

The 12 Days of Christmas Blog Series--Day 9--Nine Ladies Dancing

Merry Christmas!
Picture by Pixabay.com, words by Me.
I have started these posts to tell you about the hidden meanings behind the verses of the song The Twelve Day of Christmas. This blog series was started by my friend Faith P..
I am doing it a little bit different than the other girls participating in it, but I am having fun with it. I am also sorry that I don't changed up these posts much, I haven't had time. But I hope you enjoy it; here we go!

On the 9th day of Christmas my true love gave to me! Nine Ladies Dancing!
CUT CUT CUT!
This is a lot better. I am really beginning to think my True Love is getting it! I love dancing, and to have nine ladies to teach me what they know, and to watch their dances...a dream. Ahh....
But what exactly does this mean?

Well, according to information I found on this song, (noted later) it was written to help young Catholics, who were not supposed to be young Catholics. This song, though not making any sense while read by the "enemy", helped the young Catholics to learn their "tenets of faith".
From 1558-1829 Catholics were illegal in England. The Parliament had agreed to kill any participant active in the catholic faith. Therefore, anybody violating that law would be put to death. That is a little fast history I learned about the 12 Days Of Christmas song.

Traditionally, I would have started these posts 12 days before Christmas, right? Well not this time. I started 8 days before Christmas, and I shall overlap over Christmas. I also skipped a day earlier too. So that will put our schedule a day behind, but please keep reading.

Now what did all these verses stand for? This is what we will discover.

The greatest symbol: the, "my true love", mentioned in the song, stood for God.
And for today's gift, what did Nine Ladies Dancing stand for?

According to this Catholic song, Nine Ladies Dancing means: "The Nine Fruits of the Holy Spirit."
8. Eight Maids-a-Milking: "The Eight Beatitudes."
7.Seven Swans-a-Swimming: "The Seven Gifts of the Holy Spirit, the Seven Sacraments."
6. Six Geese of Laying: "The Six Days of Creation."
5. Five Golden Rings: "The First Five Books of the Old Testament, the 'Pentateuch'."
4. Four Calling Birds: "The Four Gospels and/or the Four Evangelists."
3. Three French Hens: "Faith, Hope and Charity, the Theological Virtues."
2. Two Turtle Doves: "The New and Old Testament."
1. A Partridge in a Pear Tree: "Jesus, the Son of God."

 Confused? Check out this link to learn a little more, this was my info source. And just to let all my readers know, I am not Catholic. I also give the credit for the descriptions of the meanings to this site. I did not make them up, and didn't reword them to much. It came from this page.

That's all for today!
Tune in for the 10th day.
Merry Christmas!
 This wonderful blog series was begun by Faith at Chosen Vessels. Also, I got my information on this from here.

1 comment:

Thank you for commenting! I always want to know what you think, and I will do my best to answer your questions accordingly. Please keep all comments appropriate and nice. Thank you!
Some comments may not be published.

IF YOU CHECK BACK ON YOUR COMMENTS, YOU MIGHT SEE A REPLY FROM ME (Amy)!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...