Friday, December 18, 2015

The 12 Days of Christmas Blog Series--Day 2--Two Turtle Doves

I have started these posts to tell you about the hidden meanings behind the verses of the song The Twelve Day of Christmas. This blog series was started by my friend Faith P..
I am not exactly sure what I am doing, but hey! I'm just having fun with it. Here we go!
Free photography from Pixabay.com, the words were added by me.

On the 2nd day of Christmas my true love gave to me! Two Turtle Doves!
CUT CUT CUT!
If I had a true love, I wouldn't ask for two turtle doves. They might get stinky, and I sure don't want to clean up after them. But seriously! Who would give their true love two birds?

Well, according to information I found on this song, (noted later) it was written to help young Catholics, who were not supposed to be young Catholics. This song, though not making any sense while read by the "enemy", helped the young Catholics to learn their "tenets of faith".
From 1558-1829 Catholics were illegal in England. The Parliament had agreed to kill any participant active in the catholic faith. Therefore, anybody violating that law would be put to death. That is a little fast history I learned about the 12 Days Of Christmas song.

Traditionally, I would have started these posts 12 days before Christmas, right? Well not this time. I started 8 days before Christmas, and I shall overlap over Christmas. But please keep reading.

Now what did all these verses stand for? This is what we will discover.

The greatest symbol: the, "my true love", mentioned in the song, stood for God.
And for today's gift, what did Two Turtle Doves stand for?

According to this catholic song, Two Turtle Doves stood for: The New and Old Testament.
1. A Partridge in a Pear Tree: Jesus, the Son of God.

 Confused? Check out this link to learn a little more, this was my info source. And just to let all my readers know, I am not catholic. I also give the credit for the descriptions of the meanings to this site. I did not make them up, and didn't reword them to much. It came from this page.

That's all for today! Tune in next time for the 3rd day of Christmas!
 This wonderful blog series was begun by Faith at Chosen Vessels. Also, I got my information on this from here.

6 comments:

  1. I never knew this before. It was fun learning the meaning behind this song.
    Thanks for sharing, Amy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it so cool! I didn't know either. I just thought, hey, I don't know the story about this song. So I found out! I am enjoying doing it also. Have a wonderful day! Thanks for visiting my blog.

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for participating in this, Amy!! :) Sorry I didn't get over here and check your post out yesterday, but I did read it. ;)
    Also, some of us have did/are doing Christmas book reviews, movie reviews, etc. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! Thank you for letting me know. I think this is fun. Maybe I will start something sometime. If I did, would you be interested?

      Delete
    2. Email me if you do. It probably will be a few months if at all.

      Delete
    3. Of course I would be interested!! :D

      Delete

Thank you for commenting! I always want to know what you think, and I will do my best to answer your questions accordingly. Please keep all comments appropriate and nice. Thank you!
Some comments may not be published.

IF YOU CHECK BACK ON YOUR COMMENTS, YOU MIGHT SEE A REPLY FROM ME (Amy)!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...